3/10/2009

A sermon of sorts: Why Faux is the way to Go


Thank you, Forever 21.


The first year of my journey to veganism was a fairly smooth ride. I had never been a big meat eater before and most dairy upset my stomach, in no time at all I was bragging to anyone who would listen, "Oh, yeah. It's so easy to be vegan". But after a few months on my completely vegetarian diet, I have a moment. I'm layering up for a cold night out in Chicago. I grab my wool coat, cashmere gloves, silk scarf, leather clutch and whip on my suede riding boots. One final look in the mirror before I bust out the door and it all hit me like a ton of bricks. Um…wow. This is a bit hypocritical, isn't it? Uh…I better do some research*.
*This has become my vegan catchphrase

After consulting my self-proclaimed Vegan Bible, Being Vegan by Joanne Stepaniak and a few unpleasant visits to PETA's website, I immediately put my cruelty-filled clothes aside. After basically wearing the same outfit for three days straight because I know that my jeans and a cotton t-shirt are "safe", I determine that I better figure out what I can wear with a clean conscious. But the question is, can I still be my fabulous, stylish self as a vegan? Am I destined to a lifetime of rubber flip flops from Old Navy and prairie skirts? Heck no! I've taken it upon myself to prove that you CAN look as good on the outside as you feel on the inside. It's easy, it's simple, it's actually cheaper to dress as a vegan and feel good about what you are wearing. Stand tall and be proud of what you are doing to help end cruelty to animals. Just don't forget to look good doing it, right?
In the meantime, I have worked to flush out my leather and suede. Instead of replacing everything at once (because let me tell you, I had a LOT of leather, suede, wool and cashmere) I have replaced these items as they wear out because that is what worked the best for me. Every person has a different experience, and this blog is just about mine. I'm not here to preach or brag or push my views on anyone. I'm just here to review these great items I have found and maybe turn a few people onto them.

No comments:

Post a Comment